To mark the the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Regional Office for the Pacific (ROP) together with partners, commemorates the day on which, in 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the UDHR, proclaiming its principles as the “common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations.”
November 16 @ 6:30 am – 7:00 am
Over the past seven decades, the UDHR has become regarded as one of the pillars of a global ethic, a common conscience for humanity — having played a great role in sustaining morale among those oppressed, in legitimizing their struggles and proscribing human rights abuses.
Its 70th anniversary provides an occasion to not only take stock of the human rights achievements since 1948, but also set an agenda and vision for the future.
The 10th of December will mark the culmination point of a series of efforts to promote, engage, and reflect on the UDHR, with the theme “The sun rising on the next seven decades for human rights”.
As part of the global effort to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the UDHR, the OHCHR ROP, together with the Pacific Islands Development Forum, The University of the South Pacific and the Alliance for Future Generations-Fiji is organizing the Sunrise Initiative with a focus on the human right to a healthy environment.
This commemorative campaign will seek to address issues related to climate change, resilience and rights significant in the region by:
- Engaging a broad base of audiences;
- Helping to promote understanding of how the Universal Declaration empowers us all;
- Encouraging further reflection on the ways that each of us can stand up for rights, every day;
- Raising awareness on human rights issue in relation to the campaign theme: “The sun rising on the next seven decades for human rights”
Date: Friday 16 November 2018 Venue: USP Lower Campus Bure, Suva Time: 5.30am
Find us on social media
For further information contact
- Ms Samita Singh (OHCHR) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr Benjamin Lee (OHCHR)- email@example.com
- Ms Afsrin Ali (PIDF) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr Lagi Seru (AFG) – email@example.com